Sunday, August 20, 2006

Things to do before you die

Today I was thinking about what my own answers would be to the "Things to do before you die" question. I don't really like that as a title - it's overused in the media and it seems very presumptuous; after all, I might be knocked down by a bus tomorrow (a quite likely occurence when you look at the average TWM driver). However, the alternative is just calling it "Things to do" which makes it look like stuff that has to be done this week - possibly slightly ambitious! Whatever you want to call it, I've started a list of my own. It feels like it has gaps in but I've run out of inspiration at the moment, so I may update it when something else occurs to me.

So...Sarah's list of Things I'd like to do before I get old, assuming I do!
- Stand on Sydney Harbour Bridge on a clear sunny day
- Be a bridesmaid
- Host a really classy dinner party without getting stressed (although not too classy...a bit of wine-fuelled giggling is essential!)
- Learn ballroom dancing
- Cry at my dad's speech at my big white wedding
- Go for a minibreak in a 5 star country house hotel with an 8 foot square bed, order smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast (in bed naturally), go for walks, eat posh dinners, drink cocktails and champagne, snuggle up by a fire and stay in bed a lot (not necessarily sleeping...)
- Buy a house, decorate it and fill it with beautiful things
- Learn to drive and buy a car
- Have children
- Write down and learn to cook all mum's recipes while I still have the chance

And that's as far as I've got. Actually, there were two more things on the list, but despite my occasional emotional ramblings to the contrary, I don't think that absolutely everything should be shared with the world!

It would be interesting to hear what's on other people's lists. I think it's a good indication of where your priorities lie, and of what really matters to you. My themes seem to be love, friends & family and home which is a very accurate summary of what's important in my life. Of course there is some material stuff in there too...the day I get my Beetle or 2CV will be a good one indeed!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great list Sarah! I'm not entirely sure of an entire list for me, but one thing I know I HAVE to do in my life is live in New York. Don't know how, when or for how long but it needs to happen...

That and see Idina Mensel in Wicked, but I only have to live till the end of September for that. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Haha, another one - learn to spell Idina Menzel...

Anonymous said...

Give a performance that I'm happy with...

That's about it really.

Anonymous said...

There were only ever four things on mine:

- Become an airline pilot
- Get married and have a family
- Earn enough money to be comfortable
- Get a season ticket at Man City

I love big dinner parties and travelling to exciting places and staying at posh hotels; I'm lucky enough to have been to amazing places like Cuba and New Zealand already, and I've been treated to staying at some amazing hotels, but I wouldn't put them on a list of stuff to do before I die. I'd count things like that as a bonus and if they don't happen, I won't be upset. Those four things above are the only things that immediately spring to mind as being absolutely essential. I'm on the way to achieving the first one, and hopefully the first one will follow; I think the fourth one MAY take a bit of negotiating with Naomi (particularly if we end up living dahn sarrf somewhere) and the second bit... well I know what I want, who knows what the future holds.

Anonymous said...

"I'm on the way to achieving the first one, and hopefully the first one will follow"

Sorry, to clear up confusion that should have read "hopefully the third one will follow."

Anonymous said...

Sarah you can be my bridesmaid when I get married...although I've no idea when that might be.

Things I'd like to do before I die:

-Pass all my law exams and get a training contract
-get over all my paranoias
-move to somewhere lovely in south warwickshire
-go on a ranch riding holiday in the 'wild west'
-be able to do something to repay my family for all the help and support they have given me over the years

There are loads of other things, I guess some are more material than others! I don't think I'm in the right mood to write much more down though.

Sarah said...

Wow, good responses everyone! Thanks Juicy me dear, I shall look forward to organising you a rather fantastic hen night... :o)