Today I was thinking about what my own answers would be to the "Things to do before you die" question. I don't really like that as a title - it's overused in the media and it seems very presumptuous; after all, I might be knocked down by a bus tomorrow (a quite likely occurence when you look at the average TWM driver). However, the alternative is just calling it "Things to do" which makes it look like stuff that has to be done this week - possibly slightly ambitious! Whatever you want to call it, I've started a list of my own. It feels like it has gaps in but I've run out of inspiration at the moment, so I may update it when something else occurs to me.
So...Sarah's list of Things I'd like to do before I get old, assuming I do!
- Stand on Sydney Harbour Bridge on a clear sunny day
- Be a bridesmaid
- Host a really classy dinner party without getting stressed (although not too classy...a bit of wine-fuelled giggling is essential!)
- Learn ballroom dancing
- Cry at my dad's speech at my big white wedding
- Go for a minibreak in a 5 star country house hotel with an 8 foot square bed, order smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast (in bed naturally), go for walks, eat posh dinners, drink cocktails and champagne, snuggle up by a fire and stay in bed a lot (not necessarily sleeping...)
- Buy a house, decorate it and fill it with beautiful things
- Learn to drive and buy a car
- Have children
- Write down and learn to cook all mum's recipes while I still have the chance
And that's as far as I've got. Actually, there were two more things on the list, but despite my occasional emotional ramblings to the contrary, I don't think that absolutely everything should be shared with the world!
It would be interesting to hear what's on other people's lists. I think it's a good indication of where your priorities lie, and of what really matters to you. My themes seem to be love, friends & family and home which is a very accurate summary of what's important in my life. Of course there is some material stuff in there too...the day I get my Beetle or 2CV will be a good one indeed!