Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Annual leave day 2

Today was one of those perfect days that make me very happy indeed. This morning I packed a book and a picnic and walked along the river to Warwick, where I sat under a cherry tree in St Nicholas Park for 2.5 hours reading and eating lunch. The walk was gorgeous - it followed the river for most of the way through trees and fields, and there was a brief stretch along the towpath of the Grand Union Canal where I found a family of ducks swimming next to a pretty little cottage that was almost falling into the canal. I saw masses of blossom trees and smelt wild garlic, and I also saw tortoiseshell and orange tip butterflies. The sun shone and it was hot and the sky was blue, and it was just fantastic!

After lunch I walked back along the same route, then popped home briefly to get changed - today turned out to be the first day of skirt and sandals which is always a momentous occasion. I then went via the newsagents to Jephson Gardens, where I sat for another hour reading the paper and eating a delicious clotted cream and summer fruits icecream.

To round it all off, this evening I went to the Arts Centre to see the LSO. Having not been at work I was actually in the mood to go to a concert, and this didn't disappoint - after a lovely Mussorgsky overture we had a super performance of Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto, followed after the interval by Prokoviev's Romeo & Juliet Suite, complete with timp/bass drum playing to rival Sam and Colin in the Verdi! I was a little disturbed to see not only a bassoonist with the same hair and bone structure as Stuart Dunlop but also a clarinettist who looked like a cross between Colin Touchin and Rory McGrath! However, this was more than compensated for by some very sexy horn players and a rather attractive percussionist. ;o)

I now have Tesco finest chocolate cookies (they were on offer...) and a rather yummy mixture of Mozart Balls chocolate liqueur and creme de menthe, and I'm going to watch Shakespeare in Love and drool over the lovely big eyes of Joseph Fiennes. I recommend a total week off to anyone - life at the moment is rather grand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mozart balls? Now that's something I've never tried before. Ahem.

xx

Anonymous said...

It's creamy and highly recommended. You can try some at my house on Friday :-)

So so so so so so soooo Jealous of Sarah's week off. It's so nice and sunny today I long to be walking the river path!! Instead I have been doing stupid minutes for stupid team meetings and have loads of even more stupid work piled up for this afternoon. boo.