Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Anyone fancy a free holiday?

Right, given the torrential rain and howling winds we've been experiencing recently, I thought it was time to think about summer activities. I have two proposals for you, gentle reader...

1. As some of you may know, my dad works in Swansea during the week and commutes home at the weekends, because he's a nutter. While in Swansea he lives in a rather lovely flat on the marina (I'm told it's lovely - to my shame I haven't yet been there!). Anyway, he and mum are going to the Lake District for a week this summer, leaving behind a very empty flat in Swansea city centre, close to the beach, the countryside and the bars and restaurants. My plan is to spend the entire week there, and this is an open invitation to you all to join me for any part of my holiday. I welcome small groups of all types for one night or more, and all you'll have to pay for is your travel and whatever we decide to get up to while we're there. The flat only has one double bed and a sofa bed but I'm sure there'll be enough floor space provided you don't all descend on me at once! The dates I'll be there are Saturday 29th July to Saturday 5th August. If none of you want to come then I really won't mind - I'm happy to make my own entertainment for the week; however if anyone does fancy a bit of an adventure then just let me know how many people and what day/time and I'll send you some directions. Hurrah.

2. For people who fancy a day trip - my parents live a 10 minute drive from West Midlands Safari Park and when I was small a visit there was the ultimate treat. I haven't been for about 13 years (back when it cost £4.95 to get in!) but Raquel and Tim went last summer and had a great time. Basically your entry fee lets you drive round the animal park (sadly no monkeys to climb on your car since they got a disease and all had to be shot) and then you pay extra to go on the rides. If anyone fancies taking a couple of car loads for a day out I'm sure we can arrange a suitable date, and as a bonus my mum has offered to provide dinner and drinks when we've finished in the park. Again, just let me know.

Yay for summer! Can anyone think of any more excursions we should do? Bring on the sunshine.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Yes please! Sometime over the first weekend we think.

2. ooooh, always wanted to go there (well, when I say always, I mean ever since I saw it when I was driving past it about 2 years ago) plus it would be cool to have dinner and drinks courtesy of the lovely Mrs Barbour.

Wooooooooooooooooo

Now it just needs to hurry up and stop raining.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh you can go to the Gower!!

Is that how you spell it? I have images of going to David Gower. That can never be a good thing...

Sarah said...

That is indeed how you spell it. Amusingly, Swansea is also very close to the Mumbles. Welsh names are the best!

Anonymous said...

I love that awesome welsh name that only special people can say: check out the website! http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.com/information-about-llanfair.htm

Anonymous said...

It was hepatitus (I bet i've spelt that very wrong) that the monkeys all came down with.

They got people in to shoot them, dunno why they bothered, could just have given out a few guns to the public and made them pay for the privelage!

BANG - That's for my windscreen wipers etc...

Sarah said...

Hello brother! Fancy seeing you here. Are you up for a trip to the Safari Park with us over the summer? We can re-live our childhoods despite the lack of monkeys.

Gosh I wish it would stop raining...

Anonymous said...

eh. Monkey. (said in northern accent for effect)

Anonymous said...

I can say it! Does that make me special?

Count me in with the David Gower/Swansea trip (can we call it that, just so we can say "Can't wait to do David Gower?") Should be free sometime during that week, I'll let you know nearer the time. And thanks for the invite! :)

And if a suitable day is arranged for the Safari Park I'll join you in that too!

xx

Sarah said...

Fab idea. The trip is now officially called David Gower. I forsee a long running trend of giving names to holidays!