Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A pretty perfect day

Today I spent a rather fantastic day with mum. We walked to Warwick along the canal and river, and then sat and ate an M&S picnic in St Nick's park by the river. The chocolate pudding and strawberries were a particular highlight! We then wandered all round Warwick being touristy, which was lovely for me as when I worked there I didn't really have time to walk round slowly and I didn't appreciate how lovely it is. We spent ages in St Mary's Church and I found out why so many places round here are named Greville or Beauchamp (they were the surnames of the Earls of Warwick) and discovered that Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester is buried there. He was a favourite of Elizabeth I and it was so exciting to find someone who was so central to my A level history buried so close to where I live. I really had no idea there was so much history in that church and it was fascinating to find out about it.

After that we sat and had a drink on Market Square, before walking home the same way we came. A well-earned sit down followed before we headed out for dinner at Rhubarb. I've wanted to eat there since I moved to Leamington - I walk past it every day on my way home and in winter in particular it always looks so inviting and cosy. Today it was quite hot in there but still a lovely atmosphere, and the food was absolutely gorgeous. I was very glad I wasn't paying as it cost £80 between the two of us, but mum agreed it was worth paying that much for such delicious food, and we did have wine as well. My main course was steak with the best chips I think I've ever tasted, and mum had goat's cheese ratatouille. We chatted about everything and nothing and it was a great evening.

I've had such a lovely long weekend with fun things to do every day, and today was the perfect ending. Tomorrow it's back to work, but I'm on training for two days so I won't be back in the office until Friday, and then it's the weekend again! What a grand life I do lead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmm steak and chips. Possibly my most favourite meal ever. Glad you had such a great day! Wish mine had been as good but at least it was rectified by Stu buying me a fantastic curry at the Bengal, bless him. Needless to say our meal between us didn't come to anywhere near as much as yours!!

Andy Robinson said...

St Mary's church is fantastic. One of my courses at uni (Social history of Death in the Reformation) refered to it a lot because of the memorial brasses and I wrote part of my dissertation on one of the brasses in there. Sad history geekery outburst over now...

Sarah said...

Dammit, I wanted to do that course! I put it down as my first choice for my Advanced Option, but they gave me my first choice for Special Subject instead and I didn't get that one. I was so annoyed because I wasn't bothered which Special Subject I did, but I really had my heart set on the other one. Ah well.